Monday, July 26, 2010

Heart-Breaking Stories


Last Friday, while wrapping up my work, I looked at our tv to see what's on CNN. The TV is normally in a low volume so I didn't really hear what it was all about. All I saw were these cute doggies in cages - shitzu, dalmatian, siberian husky, some medium sized fluffy dog, etc. So I dropped the papers I was holding and reached for the remote control. I turned on the volume and a japanese was explaining: "My job is supposed to save their lives. But what can I do? this is the law". Then the reporter said: "in a week, if these dogs are not claimed, they will be euthanized..."

Did I hear the person being interviewed and the reporter right? Are they seriously going to kill these dogs?

I didn't want to know but being a dog lover, I wanted to know if the dogs are ok. I continued watching.

Then the reporter said that it has been a week since they filmed the previous scenes and until now, no one has claimed any of the dogs. They showed how a guy guided the dogs to this chamber - some fought for their lives, some where just plainly obedient and some where even excited (perhaps thinking they were going for a walk). Then they were "gassed". A couple of minutes later, the reporter said they all died and new batch of dogs just came in the pound.

The anchor man explain that it was a really diffucult report to show but they had to. They said Japan and the US are one of the countries where there are high rates of dog euthanasia. Most countries in Europe like Italy, France, Switzerland, etc. have ZERO cases of dog euthanasia - dog euthanasia is illegal in most countries in Europe.

Also last week, they also reported that Chinese government has officially banned the selling of dog and cat meats.

Last Thursday, while doing my laundry, this old man came in with a seriously huge german shepherd without a leash! The old man was walking very slowly with his back bent low. The german shepherd was just looking at the old man and patiently walking the same pace as him. The old man put on his clothes to the washing machine and dropped some coins. When the machine was running, he whispered to his dog. The dog laid down in front of the machine and the old man went out of the laundry shop. There were three of us (excluding german sheppy) inside the laundry shop and we were all looking at the german sheppy. At some point, we realized that we were all looking at the german sheppy so we looked at one another in amazement and smiled. After 20-30 minutes, the old man came back with 2 small bottles of water - he gave the other one to german sheppy. Once the old man was done with the laundy, he packed up and blurted some in french to german sheppy. The dog stoop up and walked with the old man. We all noticed that that the old man mind is having a hard time carrying his laundry bag this time bec he didn't tumble dry his clothes therefore they were heavier. I don't know if it was just me for german sheppy was uneasy - walking while literally looking at the old man. So the guy behind me offered help. The old man accepted.

There a lot of touching stories out there how dogs really helped people in a lot of ways so seeing that CNN special report just broke my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment